When it comes to hair color, there are so many options to choose from. But if you have Indian skin, it can be tough to find the right shade that will complement your complexion.
Before looking at some tips on how to choose the best hair color for Indian skin, let’s first check out the best hair color brands for this unique hair type.
- Which hair color brand is best for Indian hair?
- 1. Clairol Nice'n Easy Perfect 10 Permanent Hair Dye
- 2. Garnier Olia Oil Powered Permanent Haircolor
- 3. L'Oreal Paris Superior Preference Shine Permanent Hair Color
- 4. Godrej Nupur Henna Natural Mehndi for Hair Color
- 5. Schwarzkopf Keratin Color Permanent Hair Color Cream
- How do I know which hair color is right for me?
- How often should I dye my hair?
Which hair color brand is best for Indian hair?
Below is a list of some of the best brands to give you an idea of what to look for.
1. Clairol Nice’n Easy Perfect 10 Permanent Hair Dye
Clairol Nice ‘n’ Easy Perfect 10 is a color that works well on Indian hair, covering even stubborn grays.
It’s available in six different shades – black, dark brown, medium brown, light golden brown, medium golden brown, and wheat blonde. Clairol does a great job of covering gray hair too.
2. Garnier Olia Oil Powered Permanent Haircolor
Garnier has many variants for Indian skin tones including Light Ash Brown, Dark Ash Brown, and Natural Black.
Garnier Olia Oil Powered Permanent Haircolour uses natural oils to make hair stronger and healthier. The no-drip cream formula is easy to use, and the hair colorant covers your grays in just 10 minutes, with no ammonia smell.
3. L’Oreal Paris Superior Preference Shine Permanent Hair Color
Preference by L’Oreal is perfect for Indian skin because it offers 24 different shades that are accurate for this hair type.
You can choose from the darkest black through to an almost white blonde color – making sure you find something that matches your skin tone.
Expertly crafted for gorgeous results, Superior Preference can easily become your go-to choice for fade-defying hair color.
4. Godrej Nupur Henna Natural Mehndi for Hair Color
This hair color from Godrej is another one of the best brands available on the market today for covering grays easily.
It also removes brassiness so it doesn’t clash with your natural skin tone. For best results, mix your Henna Natural Mehndi with Nupur henna powder and apply it to your hair before going out in the sun for a few hours till you get that reddish-brown shade.
Made with the finest Rajasthani henna, this natural mehndi is perfect for adding vibrancy and life to your locks.
5. Schwarzkopf Keratin Color Permanent Hair Color Cream
Schwarzkopf has its own range of permanent hair colors called Keratin Color. It is made with keratin which gives your locks shine and volume.
There are 14 different shades available to choose from – making sure you find something that will match your skin tone perfectly. If you are after a deeper color, look for the 10 Volume Crème Developer and mix it with your chosen shade.
The shades provide intense and long-lasting color with even results from root to tip, and 100% gray coverage.
How do I know which hair color is right for me?
If you’re not quite sure yet about what color will match your complexion, go with something close to medium brown since it’s so versatile and looks great.
If you’re still not sure which shade to go for, don’t be afraid to try out different colors. Ask your hairdresser about the best hair colors for Indian skin in their salon so that you can experiment with a range of colors.
Another thing to note is that when it comes to hair color, the skin tone around your hairline, face, and neck matters most. You don’t want to go with a lighter color around these areas. It might make your skin look paler than it actually is, which will leave you looking washed out.
How often should I dye my hair?
You should ideally get it done every 6 weeks or so. If you have dark hair, you might even be able to get away with dyeing your hair less often. However, if you have light hair, you should try to re-dye it at least once every 5 weeks.
Let’s now get to some tips on how to choose the best hair color for Indian skin.
1. The first thing you need to figure out is the undertone of your skin. There are 3 common types: a yellow-golden undertone, a pink-red undertone, and a brown-olive undertone. If you have fair skin with golden undertones, opt for warm colors like reds and oranges as they will bring out your skin’s natural warmth.
If you have fair skin with a pink undertone, stay away from shades that are too cool and opt for shades like ash brown or dirty blonde. With dyed hair, you can go for lighter tones of reds and pinks to add some life to the complexion.
If you have medium-dark skin with olive undertones, choose colors like chocolate brown and burgundy which will complement your tone perfectly. For dyed hair, lighten it up by adding warm tones such as golden blonde or honey blonde. You can even dye it in warm reds and coppers.
2. The key is to find a shade that complements your skin tone well. While choosing the right hair color, look at your natural hair color and choose a shade that is two to three shades lighter or darker. If you have dark brown hair, opt for warm reds, oranges, or golden colors. For fair skin with golden undertones, go for bright reds, bright pinks, bright oranges, and warm bronzes.
If you have medium-dark skin with olive undertones, choose warm burgundy, chocolate browns, or deep purples. With dyed hair on medium-dark Indian skin tones, lighten it up by adding ash lights such as grey, silver, and platinum blonde. You can even add subtle highlights of warmer tones like honey or gold blonde.
3. You can also highlight your hair in different ways to achieve the perfect hair color for your skin tone. If you have dark brown hair with golden undertones, add light brown streaks or highlights around the face to lift specific areas.
This will create definition in your hairstyle, making it look more flattering on your complexion.
If you have medium-dark skin with olive undertones, avoid shades that are too cool and opt for warm tones like honey blonde. Lighten up dyed black hair by adding shades like ash beige and chocolate caramel.
You can also highlight specific areas of the hair using lighter tones such as honey blonde and strawberry blonde for a brighter finish.
For fair-skinned beauties with pink undertones, add subtle highlights throughout the lengths of the hair which will contrast beautifully against the skin, making it look radiant. If you want to add more dimension, go for lighter shades of blonde or caramel brown.
4. Medium-dark skin tones can easily carry off reds and pinks. But it is important to find out what shade will suit your skin tone best before going in for a color change.
For example, medium warm brown skins wear colors like deep purples, burgundy, and chocolate brown the best. On the other hand, medium cool-toned brunettes should stay away from these shades as they will not be complimentary to their complexion.
Finally, fair Indian women with golden undertones can experiment without fear because everyone looks good with shades that are warm in nature such as honey blonde hair, fiery copper hair, strawberry red hair, etc.
So now that you know what shade will suit you the best, all you have to do is go in for a color change and rock your new hair!
If you’re not sure about changing your current hair color, just ask your stylist for advice on choosing the right hair dye for Indian skin tones.