Olive skin is a beautiful, unique tone that can be hard to match. It’s not as dark as brown and not quite as pale as pink undertones, but it falls somewhere in the middle. With such a pretty range of colors, finding the right lipstick shade for your olive skin can seem like an impossible task.
When it comes to finding an everyday neutral lip color, there are only a few problems you’ll face –
- Olive skin is in between warm and cool, so it can be difficult to match your lip color to your natural undertones.
- There are few colors that will flatter olive skin just right without washing out or overpowering the complexion.
- You might have trouble finding colors that feel light enough for everyday wear but won’t make your lips look flat, dull, or lifeless.
If you have olive skin and have been looking for the right nude lipstick to complete your makeup look, then this article is for you! Here are my top 10 picks for nudes that will flatter olive skin with their unique combination of undertones.
Best Nude Lipsticks for Olive Skin: The Top 10
We’ve compared 10 everyday nude lip colors across 8 different brands – the best nude lipsticks for olive skin we could find.
#1: MAC Cosmetics – Creme d’Nude
Creme d’ Nude is a great nude lipstick that is light, with warm undertones and a natural sheen.
The lightweight, lightly emollient texture glides across the lips without tugging, while the color applies fairly evenly for a natural look. It stays on well for 3 and a half hours without drying out your lips.
- It stays on well for three and a half hours and is neither drying nor hydrating.
- Warm-undertoned ladies will have no problem getting this color right.
- With its light natural sheen, this lipstick will give you a youthful and healthy glow that will last all day long.
- Light color shade might not suit darker skin tones, and could make your lips look slightly recessed.
MAC Cosmetics Crème d’Nude Lipstick is the perfect nude lipstick for pale olive-skinned girls who want to add just a hint of color to their look while still maintaining their natural beauty.
#2. NYX Cosmetics Round Lipstick
This NYX lipstick softens lips with a cream finish and faint shimmer.
A beautiful warm peachy-beige nude with rosy pink undertones, this mineral-based formula is buildable to medium coverage.
One swipe is enough to even out your lips and give them a healthy, natural sheen.
- This lipstick is very creamy, moisturizing lips without gloss or lip balm.
- The formula is slightly sheer, though not at all drying – letting your natural lip pigment show through with enhanced color.
- There’s bottom transparent compartment that reveals the color in the tube, making this lipstick easy to grab on the go compared to the other nude lipsticks for olive skin.
- It isn’t very long wearing, with a staying power of about 2 to 3 hours. You may need to reapply this throughout the day.
- Caution should also be used if you live in a warm climate. The formula may melt in the tube – sometimes softening enough to break if you don’t press down gently.
- Because this lipstick can settle into fine lines, you should exfoliate dry lips before applying.
Overall, this lipstick is a nice inexpensive nude shade for light to medium olive complexions, as long as your lips aren’t too pigmented (may not appear natural on darker, rosy lips).
#3: Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstick
Maybelline sensational lip color lightly hydrates with a creamy texture and satin finish – all while adding a mild sheen.
The light apricot color is buildable up to full coverage, enhancing lips with muted rose hints and orange undertones.
Maybelline sensational lipstick is perfect for fair-skinned olive-toned girls who want a natural color lipstick without too much shine. Because of its lighter shade, it can be used as an everyday nude lip color to give your lips the hydration they need.
- The lipstick glides comfortably on the lips, lasting about 3 to 4 hours between meals – one reason why it made the list of top nude lipsticks for olive skin.
- It’s sheer enough to look natural on all skin tones while still adding some color.
- The texture is amazing (smooth and creamy). The moisturizing formula is also pretty pigmented, leaving your lips soft and smooth without feeling dry.
- While this lipstick is drying, it can settle into the cracks and lines on your lips if you don’t exfoliate beforehand. You can wear lip balm underneath or top with gloss for a smoother coverage.
- The formula also has a sweet Play-Doh-like (maybe even cookie dough?) scent, though it’s slight. I don’t mind this too much (and I think the texture is well worth it!), but if you’re not a fan of lipstick scents, this one may not be for you.
The Maybelline sensational lipstick looks beautiful in light to medium olive tones – pigmented lips included! The soft orange undertones work to cancel out dark pigment while a rosy tint livens up your pout, leaving lips looking natural and fresh.
#4: Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter in Crème Brulée
Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter softens lips with a buttery balm-like feel and a semi-sheer gel formula.
A beautiful light translucent brown with warm peach undertones, this caramel-toned nude delivers a glossy finish with smooth color buildable up to medium coverage.
The shade itself is pretty unique – offering the best of both worlds by mixing pigmented nude with a natural gloss to add hydration.
- Crème Brulée soothes and hydrates without sticking – leaving dry lips moisturized for a short time before the color fades (though it can be drying after the initial hour or two).
- This lipstick is very moisturizing and has a beautiful creamy texture (almost like a lip balm) and with a creamy semi-sheer formula and matching-color cap, you don’t even need a mirror!
- Crème Brulée is easy to spot (and even easier to apply) on the go, blending evenly with your natural lip color while adding a touch of shimmer.
- Though the formula does outlast gloss, you may need to reapply after 2 or 3 hours provided you don’t eat or drink.
- You also may want to be careful during summer, since Crème Brulée does melt a tiny bit under heat and humidity (though it’s not too bad, I like to keep the tube upright just in case).
- Despite the faint scent this lip butter has, it’s not overpowering (and hardly noticeable).
If you love lip balms, Crème Brulée is definitely a good lipstick alternative. The buttery-soft balm-like consistency looks gorgeous on most olive complexions and adds a hint of color to naturally pigmented lips. The underlying peachy hues are pretty effective at toning down pigment without blotting out your natural lip color.
#5: Anastasia Beverly Hills – Matte Lipstick
One of our favorite nude lipsticks for olive skin, it provides rich pigmented color in a creamy friendly formula.
Buildable to full coverage, this pale peachy nude blends hints of warm pink and beige hues while adding a slight sheen.
This lipstick offers a creamy formula and smooth consistency with an excellent color payoff. Just one or two layers will cover up any pigmented areas like the perimeter of your lips (and even minor flaws).
- Anastasia Beverly Hills – Matte Lipstick is super pigmented compared to some nude lipsticks for olive skin. The creamy vanilla-scented formula doesn’t feather, applying evenly on the lips in smooth layers of color.
- With long-lasting staying power, this lipstick moisturizes lips for about 4 to 5 hours between meals.
- It is even packaged in a whimsical purple cover, a holographic unicorn adorning one side – very easy to spot in a rush.
- This lipstick can be drying over time, so don’t forget the lip balm underneath.
- It can also highlight dry or flaky lips if you don’t exfoliate ahead of time.
Anastasia Beverly Hills – Matte Lipstick looks flattering on light or medium olive skin and naturally pigmented lips. The peach undertones smooth out uneven, dark pigment. You can also top it with gloss for a little extra shimmer!
#6: MAC Velvet Teddy Lipstick
Velvet Ted is one of the best nude lipsticks for olive skin (and women) because of its versatility.
MAC Velvet Teddy Lipstick packs vitamins E and C with hints of vanilla into a full-coverage matte formula.
One of the most sought-after MAC nude lipsticks for olive skin, this soft brown-toned nude combines peach undertones with warm pink – perfect for olive women who have naturally rosy lips.
This matte lipstick has an extremely firm consistency, but it still glides on smoothly without tugging. The pigment is very intense and offers solid coverage even in just one or two layers.
- This Velvet Teddy lipstick is pretty pigmented, applying smooth layers of color with no signs of feathering.
- This creamy vitamin-enriched formula protects lips under the sun while a moderate sheen keeps them looking youthful and fresh.
- Being a matte lipstick, Velvet Teddy lipstick is pretty long wearing – staying put for about 4 to 5 hours without smudging. It even lasts through meals!
- While MAC lipsticks do have a slight vanilla scent, it’s very subtle.
- Like all matte lipsticks, Velvet Teddy can be slightly drying. We recommend a thin lip balm layer underneath to keep the sensitive skin there moist.
This lipstick looks gorgeous on medium to dark olive complexions, especially lightly pigmented lips with rosy undertones.
#7: NARS Belle De Jour Lipstick
Since it’s a sheer lipstick, Belle De Jour can be layered for a more intense color. The formula provides a nice amount of hydration without feeling heavy or greasy on the lips.
The creamy texture is lightweight and smooth, with a very subtle shine.
The Belle De Jour infuses vitamin E into a sheer creamy formula to soothe, protect, and nourish lips. A pretty warm beige nude with peach undertones, this lightweight formula provides slightly buildable coverage.
- Belle De Jour is very sheer, enhancing the natural color of your lips without hiding your pigment completely – even after three layers.
- The non-drying formula also applies smoothly onto your lips, delivering even layers of color and a nice subtle sheen.
- While not drying, this lip color isn’t exactly moisturizing like the other nude lipsticks for olive skin.
- Belle De Jour may need touchups after meals. Though the staying power is okay, the color will only last for about 3 to 4 hours.
- It can also accentuate cracks and lines on dry lips, so remember to exfoliate your lips beforehand.
Belle De Jour looks great on pigmented lips since the peach undertones help to neutralize and lighten the rosy pigment. Need more shine? Just add some gloss.
#8: MAC Satin Lipstick Twig 3G
Another favorite, this MAC lipstick polishes lips with a beautiful luster finish while hints of vanilla add subtle aroma and flavor. A subdued peachy nude mixed with beige, this medium-coverage formula sits nearly transparent on your lips.
This satin lipstick is very light on the lips, almost like a tinted lip balm. The sheer tint delivers natural-looking color that adds some shine without being shiny.
One of the most moisturizing nude lipsticks for olive skin, this lipstick locks in moisture while protecting your lips from harmful UV rays.
- MAC Satin Lipstick Twig 3G has a demi-sheer texture and creamy consistency is buildable up to medium coverage, enhancing your natural lip color without blotting out your lips completely.
- And with its lustre finish and polished glow, your lips are left looking soft and smooth.
- While not at all drying when first applied, this lipstick isn’t particularly hydrating like the other nude lipsticks for olive skin. You may need to use lip balm to keep your lips moisturized.
- The staying power is about 3 hours and, like all MAC lipsticks, there’s a subtle vanilla scent.
But if you have pigmented lips, the MAC Satin Lipstick Twig 3G will look stunning on you. Its warm peach undertones help to soften pigment, neutralizing and evening out darker areas – all while adding a healthy glow.
#9: Dior “Nude Rouge” Lip Blush
As rouge blushes, Rouge Dior Lip Blush adds a pop of color to your lips without being too flashy.
A sheer lip color with a hint of shine, this lipstick imparts just the right amount of pigment for a natural look. It’s not sticky and its staying power is about 4 hours.
It combines hyaluronic acid and Sea Fennel Extract into a semi-sheer creamy formula designed to moisturize, smooth, and shape lips. A light brown-toned nude, this lip color adds warmth with peach and rose undertones – all while illuminating lips with a soft glow.
- Trench sits feather-light on your lips, leveraging a unique “lip blush” texture that gives lips a hint of color while letting your natural lip color show through.
- The color is also pretty long lasting, staying put for about 4 to 5 hours without settling into cracks or accentuating dryness. The result is more natural lips.
- This lip color does have a faint sweet scent, but it’s very slight.
- You need to keep your lips moisturized when using this lipstick.
Trench looks beautiful on most olive complexions, especially rosy lips! And if you have dry or chapped lips, this lipstick keeps them feeling soft and smooth even after the color fades.
#10: Tom Ford Lip Color in Sable Smoke
The Tom Ford Sable Smoke is a rich, creamy lipstick with hydrating oils and emollients that help to keep your lips moist and protected.
A lightweight formula, this satin finish lipstick does not dry out the lips while delivering intense pigment in one swipe.
It nurtures lips with exotic healing ingredients known to soothe dry skin. A beautiful caramel honey-colored nude blended with warm peach tones, this thick creamy formula delivers full opaque coverage with a soft sheen.
With its unique opaque color payoff, Sable Smoke offers long-lasting wear on even the most desiccated lips. It won’t fade, smear, or feather – even after eating.
- Sable Smoke looks and feels luxurious on the lips. The formula itself is very creamy and hydrating, softening cracked lips while smoothing dry areas.
- The pigmented color also has excellent staying power, lasting for 5 hours or more without caking. It also smells lovely with subtle notes of vanilla and caramel.
- Tom Ford’s lipsticks are pricey, but you get what you pay for! The staying power is excellent, the color is pigmented without getting too heavy or matte, and it leaves lips soft to the touch.
- While this lip color does have beautiful packaging, the square tube can be a bit bulkier than the other nude lipsticks for olive skin.
- The formula is also a thick consistency and may need extra time to smooth into your lips.
Sable Smoke looks gorgeous on most olive complexions, especially if you have pigmented or dry lips. It also makes a great birthday or holiday gift on those special occasions when you want to splurge.
Moving Forward: 3 Ways to Take Nude Lips a Step Further
Whether you’re making the switch from colorful pinks or just adding another neutral shade to your collection, nude lips can look both classy and sophisticated.
So, we’ve compared the top nude lipsticks for olive skin, and you’ve found the best one for your complexion. It looks great! But how do you ensure your lips stay flawless?
- First things first: exfoliate dry lips. Exfoliating will erase all those dead skin cells, giving you a smooth surface to work with. You can either make your own lip scrub with honey, brown sugar, and coconut oil or pick up something like this. Whatever you do, exfoliating helps prevent lipstick from highlighting flakes – for lips that look smooth and natural.
- Shape lips with a lip liner pencil. Pick a neutral color that’s one shade darker than your preferred nude lip color (like Nude Beige, Spice, or Nudes for Life). Lip liners prevent your lipstick from feathering. They also plump up your lips, making them look fuller.
- Complete your look with gloss. If the top nude lipsticks for olive skin are drying, lip gloss will perk your lips right back up. Or, if you’re not crazy about shimmer, slip on a hydrating lip balm before applying lip color. Lip balm will help moisturize your lips while staving off dryness.
Remember, the best nude lipsticks for olive skin should enhance the natural color of your lips. Always apply neutral shades that complement your natural undertones – a shade or two lighter than your lip pigment is usually best. And when in doubt, go sheer.
By toning down your lips, you can focus more on your eyes – applying bolder eyeshadow colors, darker mascara, and more dramatic eyeliner.
Remember, What Works for Some Women May Not Work for You
Whether you’re Asian, Mediterranean, Latin American, or have a mixed racial background – the selection of nude lipsticks for olive skin is limited.
Nude lip colors are more likely to pale your complexion or look like concealer covering your lips! And if you do spot a neutral shade that’s the slightest bit decent, it’s either too pink or disappears right into your mouth.
We get it. Finding the best nude lipstick for olive skin is hard.
Only a small selection actually looks good on olive skin (and whoever claims otherwise, I’d love to know your secret, because I’m speaking from experience here!).
That’s why I put this guide together – to help you can narrow down your options and help you zero in on that ever-elusive nude lip color. I hope you found it helpful!